"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." First Amendment, United States Constitution.
In the United States of America…
• A person may choose to attend—or not attend—church.
• A person may choose from many different religions and denominations.
• A person may change religions—or leave religion entirely—whenever he chooses to do so.
• No one is forced to contribute to religious causes they do not believe in.
• No one is coerced to attend services to placate others.
• A person can choose the religious causes he wants to support with his time and money.
The United States has a free market approach to religion, protected by the First Amendment to our Constitution. Our Founders believed that this free market approach was the way to keep the State out of the business of coercing a person’s behavior in matters of faith. They believed that, in matters of conscience, a person is legitimately answerable only to God.
They also believed that the Church should not use the State to accomplish its purposes. They had seen the pitfalls of the Church controlling the State by making laws to fit the Church hierarchy’s purposes and to support the Church with taxes. James Madison stated, “In the Papal system, Government & Religion are in a manner consolidated, & that is found to be the worst of Governments.”
These are the principles on which the Northwest Religious Liberty is founded. Unfortunately, freedom is jeopardized when people forget to value it. They become so used to freedom that they do not realize how it could be any other way. However, there are those who would wrest religious liberty from us. Eternal vigilance is the price we must pay to preserve this precious freedom.
We invite you to partner with the Northwest Religious Liberty Association. Peruse our website and see how we support religious liberty. Then send a thoughtful suggestion or note of encouragement with your check or money order to the address below.
Northwest Religious Liberty Association (NRLA)
5709 N 20th Street
Ridgefield, WA 98642